Descripción del Centro
The Saint-Petersburg Institute of Ear, Nose, Throat, and Speech (the RSFSR Ministry of Health) is a leading and modern scientific medical center with strong traditions.
The institute is the leading Hearing Implant Center in Russia and offers comprehensive solutions for the hearing impaired.
Diagnostic methods include audiological tests for hearing sensitivity, acoustic impedance measurements, computer audiometry etc. The world’s first diagnostic method employing amplitude modulated ultrasound was designed here. Studies in binaural hearing employing static and moving sound images and non-standard tests on adaptation have also been carried out. The study is also proud to have established new methods for the diagnosis and treatment of neurosensorial deafness.
The center features a group of pediatric audiologists and teachers who have been working successfully on a method for early diagnosis and rehabilitation of hearing impairments in children.
The institute’s qualified specialists treat over 5,000 patients each year and deliver first aid service to nearly 19,000 persons. Annually, about 30,000 patients benefit from our medical counsel and sugical care as well as from audiology and phoniatric services that are provided in consultative rooms under direction of ENT physicians from polyclinics in Saint Petersburg and other areas of Russia.
Current research activities have three main focuses:
- Hearing physiology, hearing and vestibular pathology, audiology
- Upper respiratory tract physiology and pathology
- Speech physiology and pathology, including voice disorders and speech therapy
Scientific research in these fields is interdisciplinarily and coordinated closely with the following departments:
- The clinical department for reconstructive ear surgery, upper respiratory tract pathology, and children's ear and throat pathology.
- The laboratory department, including microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, morphology, and electronic microscopy units.
- The ear physiology and pathology department consisting of audiology rooms for children and adults, vestibulometry and electrophysiology units, otoneurology and a reflex therapy room.
- The voice and speech physiology and pathology department comprising of two speech therapy clinics (one for children and one for adults), a research laboratory for speech and voice disorders, and a phoniatrics room.
- The administration and methodology department.
There are also a number of auxiliary units, such as: R-block, physiotherapy and inhalation rooms, out patient clinic etc.
The institute has become a perfect school for the education of research workers and physicians for public health services. Every year more than 60 physicians, 100 speech therapists, 10 audiologists and 30 nurses are invited to work here on a temporary basis to improve their professional skills. Five to eight ENT physicians participate in clinical studies at the institute's clinics at the same time. The People's University of Progress in Medical Knowledge for Saint-Petersburg otorhinolaryngologists carries out his work within the institute. Leading institional specialists, professors as well as experts from other medical institutions are invited to deliver lectures here as well. The accreditation commission responsible for granting of qualification credentials to otorhinolaryngologists collaborates with the institute.